Understanding the Individual Insurance Market
The Individual Health Coverage market serves Washington residents who buy coverage for families and individuals without access to coverage through an employer, an Association or a public program.
Health insurance providers serving the individual market in 2020 are:
· Asuris Northwest Health
· Bridgespan Health Company
· Coordinated Care Corporation
· HealthAlliance Northwest Health Plan
· Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Northwest
· Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington
· Lifewise Health Plan of Washington
· Molina Healthcare of Washington
· Pacific Source Health Plans
· Premera Blue Cross
· Providence Health Plans
· Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oregon
· Regence BlueShield
Health insurance providers filed 2020 proposed rates with the Office of the Insurance Commissioner. The rates increased very little compared to 2019 – six companies asked the Insurance Commissioner to approve rate reductions of between 1.93% - 7.26%.
Consumers can shop for coverage through the Washington State Health Benefit Exchange or off the Exchange by going to a carrier’s website or using the services of an insurance broker or agent. Depending on income, consumers buying coverage on the Exchange may be eligible for federal financial help in paying for their coverage.